Hey guys,
Mom, sorry you didnt receive an email yesterday but I have a good excuse. On tuesday we were walking around town when I received a phone call.

It was Elder Carvalho one of the secretaries of our mission and he told me that I would be traveling to Salvador that night. He told me that I would be renewing my visa. Technically I have been in Brasil illegaly for the last couple of months so it was something I had to do. I was exciting though because I would be seeing all of my friends that arrived here in the mission with me. It was horrible
because it was an 8 hour
bus ride there and 8 hours back.
So I almost missed my bus going to salvador. We were helping a lady in our ward clean her house that night because we said we would. She had us wash all of the floors and because of her daughter me and Elder Ribeiro were soaked. We were in our missionary clothes with our pants rolled up to our knees and with flip flops. So we were working and I happened to look down at my watch to see it was 9:30. I had to be at the bus staition at 10! So we grabbed our stuff ran home while everyone in the street were looking at us really weird. 2 missionaries soaked from head to toe in there flip flops running around. Who wouldnt find that strange? So I made it home and ripped off my wet clothes and threw on some dry ones. We then ran to the bus stop to get a bus to the bus station. It was an agonizing wait as I thought of what would happen if I missed my bus.

By this time it was 9:49. Finally a bus pulled up and we got on. We got to the bus station
in about 5 minutes and
I ran to the ticket counter. I was lucky enough to have some angry women arguing with the only person at the register. So during this time Im thinking, "great, this could only happen to the great Elder Ashton." So the other Elders that were there waiting for us came up and told me that my bus was leaving that instant! So we told the lady at the register that I need my ticket asap! Luckily another woman came up and got me my ticket in time and I got on the bus just as it was leaving. What a night!

So my companion on the bus was this lady that kept trying to talk with me but I was tired so all I did was nod my head every now and then. I finally arrived in Salvador after a horrible night of sleep. I waited awhile and then got to go to the airport and see the other guys and renew my passport. Youd love my photo because I wasnt allowed to smile. Just how I like it!!! Haha im kidding but I got to eat fast food yesterday at mcdonalds. That was heavenly. Then I went and visited a few people in my old area who were very happy to see me. It was cool to get to talk to them.
Then last night at 10:45 I was back heading to Ilhéus. Right now I am writing this dead as a dog but it was really fun.

Also last week we did something really cool called Mãos Que Ajudam (Helping Hands). It is an event the church does here in Brasil where all of the stakes choose a school to clean up and all the members do it. So me and Elder Ribeiro went and had a blast except for the fact that I cut my hand. We were the only Elders that showed up and I glad I did! It was great.
Well Im glad you guys are having a good time back home and like Mom reminded me: I only have 9 fast sundays left! Its passing so fast!
Well I love yall and hope you guys get a kick out of my story.
Love, Elder Ashton

1 comment:
You really have quite the stories down there in Brasil. Just your bus trip alone, not taking into account the cleaning of houses, schools, running, sweating, anxiety, etc., illustrates the wisdom in having YOUNG men and women serve missions. Can you imagine an older couple doing that? NOT! God continues to bless you Elder Ashton.
Post a Comment