Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Elder Perry in the Ukraine






About a month ago Michelle asked me (Brian's sister) to put something on the blog about Brian and time has gotten away from me but better late than never. These are bits and pieces of Brian's last few emails. I will try to post more frequently.



Elder Perry is serving in Ukraine, Kiev mission. He is currently serving pretty close to the city.
Email sent on July 25th 2007:

"Now for my life this last week Iwent back to our babtism guys house and taught him the 3rd lesson and his wife likes to feed us pancakes with apple slices in them there good and she busted out this juice and she said hey drink as much as you can because this is what Igive my daughter to help her grow taller, I was like oh your calling me short huh!! She said yes! it was so much fun we had a great time and laughed a ton. We've made really good friends it's great.

Then we were tracting and ran in to this guy from holland and his familyspeaks english it was awesome but we knocked on his door and his wife comes andsays oh mormons! honey its for you so this huge guy comes and says he doesn'twant to talk and doesn't beleive in anything so we totally just changed thesubject and just let him know who we really are and just talked about life wegot on the subject of peanut butter and we asked if we could get it here anywhereand he told us a place. Then he yelled into his house " Honey these guys lovepeanut butter too" we died laughing it was good times then he said he had asnake and we asked to see it and he said of course so now we are in his housewere doing good and they gave us some juice I showed her pictures of Oakley sheloves dogs. He was telling us about how he smuggles stuff from ukraine toHolland because it sales for about double the price. He has his own contractorscompany and landscaping company. But the main point is that we got a returnappointment to a man who said he didn't even want to talk to us. but yeah that'smy highlight of the week. I'm getting a new comp tomorrow. I'm doin good I loveyou guys tallk to ya nextweek."






Condensed from emails sent August 1, 2007

Elder Perry has a new companion. He is from Orem, Utah and his name is Elder Jacobs. This meant the end of a great companionship between Elder Perry and Elder Boctwik. Elder Boctwik is from Preston, Idaho and his dad and Brian's dad used to drive "Big Rigs" for the same company. They did not know each other before the missionbut made the connection once they met in the mission fieldand then were later made companions. Brian was sad to see the end of a greatcompanionship but says that he and his new companionship are a young companionship (Brian has been out 7 months and Elder Jacobs9 months) and they are working harder than ever. Brian is the 5th of 5 kids in the Perry family to serve a mission and we all told him that your best companions are your shortest companions and your "worst" companions are your longest!!



"I had the runs yesterday because I think I got some bad meat and now I think Ihave the starting of what most foreign missionaries get called the worms but I'mnot possitive. I can't help eating at this place called шашлік (this word did not translate) it's like a shishkabob but with only meat it is so good. They cookit over and open flame they put this sauce on it and onions em em! This week me and my companion were tracting this building and it was my turnto talk and were standing there waiting and all the sudden this guy comes flyinout of his door and starts swearing at us and I could have taken this guy hewas older and smaller (I've gotten really big since you have seen me last) sidenote, very important to the story though. But anyways he shoved my companion andhe was kinda looking at me like he was coming for me next but I was like oh noyou dont and I grabbed him and pushed him back into his appartment and shut hisdoor and we went on to find a lot of cool peeps. But you brothers would have beenproud I rocked it up."





Email from August 8, 2007:"Well some bad and good news my baptismal date for the 11th of August didn'tshow up to his appointment with us and as we were leaving after talking to hiswife and daughter we ran into him as we left and he was drunk. That hurts but wetalked to him yesterday and we recomitted him for babtism so I'm fasting for him.So we'll see what happens he's really cool and so is his wife and daughter. I just had my 4th zone conference yesterday Elder Paul from the Seventy cameit was amazing he gave us tons of good info.

Hey to answer your question about how I am growing I was at a farewelllparty for a missionary in my ward who is going to Washington State. I wasshowing some ladies in the ward a picture of me and they just said I look a lotskinnier in the face but I'm starting to get some fat on my stomach but we'll see.
Love ya, Thanks for the love and prayers.
When I read about Seth it really humbled me. I knew him pretty goodbecause he would always be over at Ashton's house. He had tons of great friends. I am really sad to hear that."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes!!! I was so excited to open up the Yetis blog and see a heading and picture I knew I didn't put in!! Thanks, Lisa! We all love to read about these wonderful missionaries. I print each entry off and mail them to Ashton and he loves them. I am so glad to hear about Brian's experiences too. Ashton can't wait to get out in the mission field to start teaching just like his buddies!!! Awesome picture Brian! You're almost as tall as that building :)

Anonymous said...

Ukraine is so lucky to have such a great missionary laboring there and loving the people. Keep up the good work and come home strong in the faith.