Sunday, August 19, 2007

J'aime le vien de les Serg

I have no idea what the heading says because Elder Carson speaks French now and I don't and never have! So if anyone can translate that be my guest and let us know! These are the words of Elder Carson..........

(Elder Carson must have written something else in French because I don't think this statement refers to the heading of the email....but I could be wrong!) He writes - Which translates to "I like the meat of monkey's" - But not really because yesterday I had to fill my pockets full of it when the person that was feeding us left the room!
Well, I can't believe that it is another p-day and that I'm writing you all again! Things are moving along. The baptisms on Sunday went good after church and Elder Wilde and I just broke our record of the most lessons taught in one week. It's still just dumping rain outside and my pants and shirts are always covered in mud. It's so humid here that no matter what nothing will dry so you are always wearing wet shoes and clothes. But it's all good.
Yesterday we were walking down the road when a Jeep started driving towards us. Elder Wilde and I were staring at it because it's really rare to see a Jeep here. But as the Jeep got closer it slowed down and stopped right next to us. A big black woman rolled down the window and asked if we were "Mormon missionaries" in perfect English. Her name was Elizabeth and is an American but was born in Cameroon. She invited us back to her house and we taught her a lesson. IT WAS THE FIRST AIR CONDITIONED HOUSE I HAVE EVER TAUGHT IN! She already had a Book of Mormon and always carries it with her to and from America. The lesson went really well and she said that she knows the Joseph Smith Story to be true. But by the end of the lesson I felt like Sponge Bob when he goes into Sandy's bubble for the first time and dries out! My lungs burned and my eyes hurt because the air conditioning had dried out the house. I thought I was going to freeze to death and dry up!
We have 4 more people committed to baptism for the 14th. IF they don't get sick or never come to church so that will be good.
Well I need to go but I will share with you some more fun facts about Cameroon before I go. First a lot of people here will always have one goat. They never milk or eat them so I was wondering why they have them. So I asked a couple of different people why some people have goats? I have been told over and over again that it's because people will raise a goat then take it to the ocean and throw it in for a sacrifice!!!!!!!Ha ha ha! I laughed so hard when I heard that. I want to so bad go down to the ocean on goat sacrifice day and watch! This place is so weird! Also if things here aren't weird enough don't ever ask someone about mermaids because they all believe in them and every person has seen one. There is actually people that live in the town south of here that worship them and for 2 dollars they will take you out in boats and show you a mermaid. Some members in the branch have said that they have done it and seen a mermaid. I never want to show the movie The Little Mermaid here!! (I talked with Carson's dad the other night and he joked about how funny it was that Carson was making fun of them for believing in mermaids when he believes in Big Foot!!)
But, yes, the work is moving forward and we teach a lot. From 6:30 in the morning to 10:30 at night all I do is teach people and try and strengthen the branch. The Church is true and I can't believe how much it can change people.
Elder Goat sacrificing, mermaid watchin' Carson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The goat is their garbage disposal and their lawn mower. Who would sacrifice their disposal and mower? Unless it is because the mermaids require kelp management. Elder Carson's mission sounds like one of my son's where the ties rot off you, the shirts rot off you, the shoes rot off you, and all the natives have a pig for a pet and eat the dogs.