This entry is the first email that Elder Carson sent to his family after arriving in Africa so it is dated April 21, 2007 and reads:
Hello Family and everyone!
I'm in Douala Cameroon! Well a lot has happened since I arrived! So I don't know what to say. So I will just tell you about my first day. My plane set down on a runway that was as long as our drive on the boarder of a never ending jungle. In the airport a policeman said that we could not come into his country and he took our passports so I told him that there was missionaries waiting for us outside. He escorted me outside but there was just black people and some cows - no missionaries but after a long time
they came and we were let go!! ha ha.
The two elders that I came here with went to Younde and I stayed in Douala. There is no couple missionaries here and the mission president comes about every 3 months. We only have 4 Books of Mormon to give out and have not been resupplied in months. I shower on the deck with buckets of water. We have water 2 hours out of the day. And sometimes electricity. There are 400 members here but only 30 go to church so while the elders in Younde are baptizaing 10 new members
a week we are working on inactivity; French is hard but I understand le blanc le blanc which means the white the white. The branch president here is chief of his tribe and treats the branch like it is his tribe. So the missionaries don't get along with him very well. Well I don't have anymore time so bye. I love it here and I'm working hard. I have already seen things that I hope normal people at home would never
have to see: we went to a market where they sell human flesh...I wish that I was lieing but the church is true and growing and I love it here.
they came and we were let go!! ha ha.
The two elders that I came here with went to Younde and I stayed in Douala. There is no couple missionaries here and the mission president comes about every 3 months. We only have 4 Books of Mormon to give out and have not been resupplied in months. I shower on the deck with buckets of water. We have water 2 hours out of the day. And sometimes electricity. There are 400 members here but only 30 go to church so while the elders in Younde are baptizaing 10 new members
a week we are working on inactivity; French is hard but I understand le blanc le blanc which means the white the white. The branch president here is chief of his tribe and treats the branch like it is his tribe. So the missionaries don't get along with him very well. Well I don't have anymore time so bye. I love it here and I'm working hard. I have already seen things that I hope normal people at home would never
have to see: we went to a market where they sell human flesh...I wish that I was lieing but the church is true and growing and I love it here.My companion is great
He doesn't speak English
Sorry for my spelling I am typing on a French keyboard
Dad please forward this to everyone I didn't bring their email addresses
Pray for me love Elder Ward


1 comment:
All I can say is, better him than me!
"There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home..."
Post a Comment