Thursday, July 5, 2007

Missionary Shoe Alert!

Just received a handwritten letter from Elder Ashton today and thought that I would share it. He obviously wrote this before his email I published before! It reads:

Hey Family!!!
You all are probably wondering how my flights went and what not. Those were the longest flights ever and I couldn't sleep at all because my back was killing me. But I am at the MTC now and it sounds like it is going to be tons of work but well worth it. Don't worry Mom because I am eating the food here...ha ha. Oh yes and nothing happened to me. I have been completely safe and my bags didn't get lost either. Mom, that bag I got at Walmart to carry on is already falling apart and I think that next time we should get some different shoes. As comfortable as the J. Ferrar's are they aren't holding up too well. The sad thing is is that I've been here 1 day and everything is falling apart. Oh well, that's life. I love all you guys!!! :)
Love,
Ashton
P.S. In the first care package you send me, please get me something that I can keep all of my toiletries in. Like a bag or container to hold like my razor, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.
Thanks!!

Let me explain....the shoes are not the kind that everyone kept telling us to get. We got so many conflicting recommendations and checked out each one but the shoes we ended up getting were the most comfortable to him and they looked as sturdy as any of the other ones so we bought two pair (being that they were buy one get the second half off!) So then he forgot one pair of the J. Ferrar's in St. George the week before he left and there was no way to get those in time so we went and found some Rockports that actually fit and felt good. So I sent him with the shoes he said are falling apart, some just as expensive Rockports, and his cheap Sunday shoes he had previous. We will see which will hold up! I guess he is on his own down there to get some shoes that might work when these all fall apart! Good Luck Ashton!! And as far as the toiletries bag....I sent all of the 'liquidy' stuff in a zippered clear plastic bag so they wouldn't leak all over but it didn't cross my mind that that would be embarrassing to keep all of his stuff in that clear plastic bag.....or would it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so the Brazilian adventure begins on a typical note. Join the elite club....the Black Name Tag. Elder Ashton is already beginning to change and grow. How proud we all are of him.

Cara said...

YOu can't beat a Ziploc. Miles wore Dockers in the islands and had to sew them together with fishing line. I think Mom still has them - they look totally destroyed! The mark of a true missionary.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

jmr said...

wow! multi language blog! Sweet stuff Ashton!! Can't wait to see what you do with your shoes, maybe grind some wild leeves to make a glue? :)